The ERR connection reset is shown as “ERR_CONNECTION_RESET” which means there is a connection error. What this means is the connection could not be made. Thus the connection has been reset. It comes with the 101 code and is common on Google Chrome.
However, both Internet Explorer and Firefox have also been displaying similar messages due to connection problems. In comparison to HTTP error messages, the Error Connection Reset message does not indicate directly whether or not the client, network or server caused the issues.
Read More: How to Fix the Logilda.dll Error
What is ERR connection Reset Error?
Industry experts explain that the ERR_Connection_Reset is an error message users may encounter whenever they try accessing a website. This means the connection between the network device and the website got terminated in an unexpected manner.
How and why does this error occur? Here are some key reasons why this error happens:
- Network issues.
- Firewall problems.
- Problematic and incorrect network settings.
- Browser plugins.
- Browser extensions.
- Browser settings.
- Third-party software.
- Third-party services.
- Issues from servers and websites.
There are some common scenarios where such an error pops up. They are as under:
- Visiting a website with a lot of traffic.
- A public WiFi network.
- Running outdated software.
Resolving the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET is important. It can prevent users from accessing key information, conduct online activities, and even conduct routine checks. In fact, it can be something serious. It could also be an underlying issue needing resolution.
Thankfully, there are numerous troubleshooting steps that can be taken to help resolve the error:
- Checking the internet connection.
- Disabling firewalls.
- Disabling or rechecking antivirus software.
- Clearing cache and cookies of browsers.
- Software and drivers are timely updated.
Read More: How to Fix the Error 0x80300024
In what ways can the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET can be fixed?
In short, ERR_CONNECTION_RESET is a common error message. It happens for various reasons and can frustrate users. It is time we understand the causes of this error and take the needed steps to resolve the error. This helps ensure users have a streamlined and secure browsing experience.
There are numerous possible ways to fix the error. Now we will discuss the handy ways of doing so:
It is wise to check the internet connection first
It is wise to double-check the internet connection and check for issues with the router/network adapter. Yet, it is a smart move to load a website on a different browser albeit on the same device. If the website loads, then the browser is being problematic. Similarly, WiFi issues can be resolved by using an ethernet cable for creating an internet connection.
If the website does not load on any browser or device, then the internet connection is at fault. In case of a temporary glitch, reboot the router. Once it reconnects to the internet, best is to load the page. If it doesn’t work, troubleshooting the internet connection is a smart move.
Clearing the browser cache is helpful
Faulty cache files often cause glitches in browsers. They even prevent making a workable connection with websites. Clearing these files can help fix the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET issue. Here is how Google Chrome’s browser cache can be cleared:
- In Google Chrome, users should go to the menu.
- Going to tools and clicking on Clear Browsing Data.
- Users should enable the cached images and files checkbox from the basics setting tab.
- Afterward, users should click on clear data. This helps the browser complete the process.
Checking and disabling Google Chrome extensions
At times, Google Chrome extensions can cause problems within a browser’s functionality. They too can cause the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error. Experts recommend disabling all extensions. If the problem is resolved, each extension can be reenabled separately. This helps check which one caused the problem.
Here are some steps in disabling the extensions:
- Opening Google Chrome.
- Typing “Chrome://settings/” into the address bar to go to settings.
- Once there, extensions can be chosen from the left-side menu.
- Each extension should be toggled off manually.
Disabling the VPN/proxy server might also help
In theory, neither a VPN nor a proxy server should be causing problems with the browser’s internet connection. However, there is a possibility. It is wise to turn the proxy server off to make sure it is not causing any errors. The same goes for the VPN.
Here are some steps to closing the former:
- Users must go to the control panel (accessible from the start menu).
- Accessing network and internet options.
- Go to the internet option and then the connections tab.
- Selecting LAN settings at the lower side.
- Turning off the use proxy server for LAN option using the checkbox.
- Enabling the automatic connection option.
- Then click on OK and apply the settings.
Those who are using a VPN may see some issues in their internet connection. They can try by turning it off briefly and then reloading the web page in the browser.
They can experience the ERR CONNECTION RESET error if the internet service provider (ISP) blocks a website. To solve this, it is wise to attempt to use a VPN service to encrypt the connection.
Updating the network adapter driver in Windows
The ERR connection reset error can occasionally result from network drivers being outdated. Windows thankfully makes downloading updates easy. Here are some steps to do just that:
- Launching device manager (right-clicking the start menu accesses that option).
- Expanding the network adapters option, right-clicking the adapter, and choosing the update driver option.
- Searching automatically for drivers works.
- Windows should find and install the right drivers.
- Rebooting the computer after installation of drivers.
- Reopening the browser and trying to open a website.
Questions and answers
Q: What is the ERR Connection Reset error?
A: Written as ERR CONNECTION RESET, it basically is an error where the computer is not able to connect to the internet easily. There are many reasons for this phenomenon.
Q: Can VPNs cause the connection reset problem?
A: It can be the reason. However, it is always wise to check the kind of browser being used. Oftentimes, browsers and internet service providers can be the reasons.
Q: Should LAN card drivers be updated?
A: LAN card drivers should always be updated. With Windows 10 and 11, it is now possible through periodical upgrades. In case of issues that persist, consult with a technical expert right away.
Q: Can browsers cause the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error?
A: It usually depends on the browser’s cache as it often needs clearing. It is best to clear the browser cache after certain intervals, especially if using Google Chrome. Using Brave and DuckDuckGo is recommended if browsing daily is part of your job.
Q: Can browser extensions play a problem in internet connections?
A: At times, browser extensions may become corrupt due to unreliable code. An improper shutdown of computers may cause them to go haywire. Disabling them individually may help improve the connection. However, which one caused the problem also needs to be checked individually.